Across London, practitioners are engaged in a range of redevelopment projects aimed at transforming local places and the lives of those who live there. The successful delivery of major residential, commercial and retail projects is critical to the growth of the London economy, and to improving the well-being of residents across the Capital.
Understanding the challenges and opportunities facing these projects is a key focus at Future of London, where we continue to highlight best practice in regeneration, local service delivery and community development through our reports, seminars, and Communities in Transition field trips.
At the major projects end of the scale, FoL programmes on topics such as Crossrail and estate regeneration examine how the public sector can make the most of large-scale undertakings, while at the other end of the scale, our work on the Localism Act and Business Improvement Districts shows how change can be managed successfully at the community level.
6th November, 9 AM – 5 PM
Delivering Estate Renewal
|Doing More With Less: How London boroughs are using new powers to navigate budget straits and deliver local services
Jo Wilson with Lisa Taylor, Future of London
This report puts service delivery reform into context, and outlines some of the measures being implemented across the Capital to manage greater demand with fewer resources.
|Localism in London: The implications for planning and regeneration in the Capital
Anna Turley and Jo Wilson, Future of London,
This report sets out the implications of the localism agenda for planning and regeneration practitioners. It features the results of a London-wide survey on the impact new financing and delivery tools will have for London Boroughs.
|The Localism Bill in London
Joanna Wilson, Future of London,
This new policy briefing provides detail on the reforms contained in the Localism Bill, including new powers and revenue streams, and measures designed to encourage active neighbourhood involvement in development.
News and Project Updates
- Connecting communities in Colindale October 14, 2014 On 8th October, Future of London visited Colindale in LB Barnet, to hear about the council’s new Open Space Strategy and progress on the Grahame Park estate.
- Conference: Delivering Estate Renewal September 30, 2014 Our November conference takes a two-pronged approach to identifying effective ways forward in estate regeneration: at the strategic level and at the front line.
- Opportunity knocks in Nine Elms September 5, 2014 On August 20th, Future of London visited Vauxhall, Nine Elms and Battersea, one of the largest Opportunity Areas in the London Plan.
- Queen’s Park Community Council: Localism in action July 25, 2014 Our latest spotlight looks at how Westminster has embraced Localism in Queen’s Park, establishing London’s first parish council.
- Local authority partnerships in London and the Netherlands July 2, 2014 On June 17th, we joined forces with the Netherlands School of Public Administration (NSOB) to explore innovative approaches to public sector partnerships in London, Utrecht and The Hague.