Future of London’s All Network Meet-up at City Hall is fast approaching, with the evening’s theme to be London’s next leaders. The 25th September event will also celebrate the one-year anniversary FoL’s Speaker Diversity Pledge.
The Pledge is a pan-London initiative supported by the Mayor of London, which aims to diversify urban debate and ensure event panels better reflect the people of London.
The pledge is made by organisations and individuals, and asks signatories to commit to at least two of the following:
- Hold public-facing events which include under-represented demographic groups (by gender, ethnicity, ability, age, etc.) as speakers
- Put forward speakers from under-represented groups to represent our organisation, including at senior levels and across disciplines
- Encourage organisations I work with to host diverse events
- Avoid participating in sessions which feature only one demographic group
- As a speaker/chair, join the Future of London Diversity Speakers’ Network, to help increase the pool of voices
Pledge signatories have the right to use the new diversity e-badge (Supporting Organisation, Sponsoring Organisation, Champion), with which individuals and organisations can colourfully express support for speaker diversity.
To sign the pledge is to take a positive, proactive, step towards supporting speaker diversity and recognising the strength of London’s uniquely diverse demographic. The pledge is supported by Jamie Ratcliff, Assistant Director of Housing at the GLA, who calls ensuring diversity an ‘opportunity to introduce new voices and ideas’.
Encourage your organisation and peers to sign the pledge, and help our sector take the lead! Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
The All-Network Meet-up will take place at London’s Living Room, City Hall, on Monday, 25th September from 6.15-9.00pm. The event is free to attend but registration is essential. To register your interest in attending, please email email@example.com.