London is a dynamic city, home to a diverse range of communities. While inner London has typically provided many of the capital’s core economic activities and high value services, outer London has provided more homes, local high streets, parks and critical community services.
But the pandemic has challenged many of our assumptions about inner and outer London – where people live, work and study, where they socialise, shop and play and how they move around and between places. It has highlighted a fragile economy with long-term inequalities and deep-seated areas of deprivation. And it has also accelerated existing trends: slowing economic growth, an exodus of younger people, failing high streets and workspaces that don’t respond to business needs.
This will have serious implications for London’s economy and communities as we transition to a new normal. But we now have an opportunity to rethink and take advantage new ideas and innovation that have sprung up from the pandemic to help the whole of London level up.
This event invites inner and outer borough leaders, the third sector and private-sector economic and demographic analysts to explore how we can meet these short-term challenges across London. We will examine how to fund the economic transition and, ultimately, deliver a long-term prosperous city for all.
When: Wednesday 27 January 2021, 10 to 11.15 am
- Councillor Tim Barnes, Lead Member for Soho & Cabinet Member for Children’s Services, City of Westminster
- Nazeya Hussain, Executive Director for Place, RB Kingston
- Dan Lindsay, Director – Urban Solutions, Hatch (chair)
- Kyle Monk, Director of Insight, British Retail Consortium
- Roni Savage, Trustee, YMCA St. Pauls Group & Managing Director, Jomas Associates
This event is free to attend thanks to our partner, Hatch, but places are limited and registration is essential.
- Click 'Register now' and fill out the form.
- You will receive an email to acknowledge your request to attend (if you don't see it, please check your junk folder). Please note this email is NOT a confirmation of your place.
- We'll let you know if a place becomes available. This is likely to be one week from registration.
Note: This webinar will be recorded and released on FoL's YouTube channel, and some screenshots from the event may be used on social media. Please contact email@example.com if you have any questions.